Sunday, December 22, 2013

31 Albums From 2013: Day 22


Sevendust and I have had a rocky relationship over the years. The first couple of years were great, their debut self titled album and 'Home' brought me nothing but joy. They quickly shot to the top of my favorite bands list. Then they did a song for 'Strait Up', the tribute album for Lynn Strait. This tune, 'Angel's Son', was a true ballad, which they hadn't really done before this. I did like the song but the problem that spawned from this was they got more radio airplay and attention from this one song than any others before it and the record label saw dollar signs. From then on, Sevendust began releasing albums that were much more commercial sounding and toured with other radio friendly bands opposed to the heavier bands they used to share the stage with. Because of this, I gave up on them, thinking I had lost them for good. In 2005, I heard that guitarist Clint Lowery had left and Sonny Mayo (formerly of Snot) had taken his place. Out of curiosity, I decided to give their new disc 'Next' a shot and was shocked to hear three of the heaviest songs they have ever written. I was back on board, or so I thought. I didn't love everything on the album, as the radio friendly element was still there, but it was a step in the right direction. I even went to concert where they toured with Mudvayne and Sevendust absolutely blew them off the stage. Unfortunately, the next two albums didn't do a lot for me and I fell off the train again. They took seem to have taken a step back into radio friendly land. They even had Chris Daughtry on a tune. Blah. In 2008, I heard word that Clint had returned and Sonny was no longer with them, but hearing what Clint had been doing in the meantime with his other band Dark New Day (an even more commercial sounding version of Sevendust), I didn't even bother trying anymore. This brings us to the year 2013 and the release of 'Black Out The Sun'. I kept hearing about how the boys finally returned to the heavier side again, so I decided to give them one more shot. It took a lot for me to come to terms with it, but I liked it! Just like 'Next', I don't love everything, probably about half of the album I truly enjoy, but that's more than I could say about their last three albums. I was shocked to even hear Clint do some screaming. Maybe it's because Clint has done a mellow solo album and started a side project with drummer Morgan Rose that helped get the wimpy tunes out of their system, but who knows. I just REALLY hope they stay on this path this time around. Please!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment