Friday, December 12, 2014

2014 Album Reviews: Devil You Know - The Beauty Of Destruction

After his departure from Killswitch Engage for medical and personal reasons, vocalist Howard Jones left the metal world wondering if we would ever see him again. Last year, that question was answered when a demo of the song 'Shut It Down' was released by a newly formed band, Devil You Know. The tune was heavier than anything we've heard from Howard in a very long time and I was incredibly excited to hear more. When the first official single, 'Seven Years Alone', was released, my excitement stayed up, even with it being a bit more melodic than the first song. In April, the debut album 'The Beauty Of Destruction' was finally released and I couldn't wait to check it out. After a couple of listens, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. There is a much larger melodic metalcore influence than I had hoped for. From a business standpoint, I can completely understand why as they wanted to attract Howard's KsE fan-base, but I was really hoping for a much heavier sound as a whole. It still isn't a bad album and it continues to grow on me little by little. I'm just hoping they kick it up a notch for album #2.


No comments:

Post a Comment