Saturday, December 20, 2014

2014 Album Reviews: Scamp - The Deadcalm

This summer I was listening to 'Mirror Faced Mentality' (which was Scamp's debut full length release in 2008) and wondered, whatever happened to these guys? Days later, I see on a blog I follow the mention of a new album by a band called Scamp. Could it be that Scamp? I immediately rushed to Youtube to find a song and just seconds after I hit play, I knew it was. YES! I was taken back a bit when the vocals kicked in as it most certainly wasn't the original singer, but he did sound familiar. After some quick investigative searching, I discovered that Michael Bøgballe (ex-Mnemic) had become the frontman. I never really got into Mnemic, and the vocals had something to do with that, so I was very weary of what Michael would bring to the table, especially considering I really liked the original Scamp vocalist. Still, I gave 'The Deadcalm' a fair shot and am happy to say I really dig it. The band are really pros and bring something new to the progressive groove metal sound. Plus, the drummer is amazing! If you are into bands like Meshuggah and Fear Factory, give these guys a shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment