Monday, December 22, 2014

2014 Album Reviews: Devin Townsend - Z2 (Dark Matters & Sky Blue)

Fans of Devin Townsend have been demanding the return of Ziltoid (an alien character that Devin based an entire solo album around) since his creation in 2007 and we all knew that if he was going to do it, he was going to go big. Not only did Ziltoid return but he had to go up again the Devin Townsend Project! That's right, we got a new DTP album (Sky Blue) and a new Ziltoid album (Dark Matters) packaged as a double album, that both had a similar underlining theme: Ziltoid against the world. 'Sky Blue' is definitely the lighter and more serious album of the two, which was expected, but still great overall. If I had to chose between the two, 'Dark Matters' would take the cake. Surprisingly there were two factors that weren't as strong as I had hoped: it wasn't quite as heavy as I though it would be and there was a lot less Ziltoid then expected as well. It plays out as a narrated story describing the events of Ziltoid's second encounter with Earth. Even though I would have liked a bit more of both, I still enjoy it. Besides, where else can you find "oompa loompa -core"?

I should also mention that Devin released another album earlier this year under a new project, Casualties of Cool, which is his take on blues rock, fronted by female vocalist Ché Aimee Dorval. I can't say I spent much time listening to it, but I certainly have a ton of respect for Devin always pushing his limits and trying something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment