Monday, December 15, 2014

2014 Album Reviews: Slipknot - .5: The Gray Chapter

I haven't really considered myself a Slipknot fan since the early 2000's. Their album 'Iowa' was the last one to excite me. After that, I liked a song here and there, but I was put off by the blurred line between where Slipknot ended and Stone Sour began. They wrote songs to be put on the radio and that always taints bands in the metal genre. Fast forward to 2014, the band has been through a lot. The devastating loss of bassist Paul Grey and the firing/quitting of drummer Joey Jordison being at the forefront of struggles they have faced. With new blood in the band and a lot to be pissed off about, I was hoping this would be the album to truly redeem themselves (to me at least). I have some friends who have been long time fans and they absolutely love this new album, but for a "back in the day" fan like myself, it wasn't really enough to pull me back in. Sure, I enjoy a song or two, but still not what I was hoping for. I've seen it happen many times before, once a band gets a taste of the "radio single" life, there is no coming back from that no matter how hard they try.

No comments:

Post a Comment